Cannabis was approved in Utah for medical use in 2018, following other states that have been helping patients by prescribing cannabis for many years. The people of Utah can now take advantage of the medical benefits that cannabis provides, with proper diagnoses and regulated medicines.
Steps to Receiving a Cannabis Card
Medical Cannabis is New For Utah
The modern use of cannabis is proving to be a valuable tool in medicine. Providing relief for symptoms such as chronic pain and mood disorders associated with PTSD. This option is now available in Utah for qualifying patients.
You must have an in-person evaluation by a QMP with whom you have a preexisting relationship with, a qualifying medical condition (supporting documents are very helpful), and submit an application for a medical cannabis card with the Utah Department of Health.
- HIV or acquired immune deficiency syndrome
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Persistent nausea
- Cannabis-induced cyclical vomiting syndrome
- Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome
- Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Epilepsy or debilitating seizures
- Multiple sclerosis or persistent and debilitating muscle spasms
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Terminal illness when the patient’s life expectancy is less than six months
- A rare condition or disease that affects less than 200,000 individuals in the U.S.
- Pain lasting longer than two weeks that is not adequately managed
For adult patients ages 21 and older with a qualifying condition, the application review process will be completed 15 days or less from the date the application is submitted.
Visit our home page for a google map showing dispensaries in Utah.
Insurance will cover (pending your deductible) clinic visits associated with a psychiatric evaluation and medication management follow up visits. Unfortunately insurance will not cover services for medical cannabis at this time.
A new Medical Cannabis Evaluation costs $300 and Follow-up visits cost $150.
Currently the State of Utah requires an in-person clinic for your initial Cannabis Evaluation. After the intial eval you may due any of your follow-up visits via Zoom audio/video conferencing software.
About Our Clinic
Life Tree Psychiatry is dedicated to bringing a modern and comprehensive approach to mental health. Through knowledge and experience we seek to deliver high quality care to people in need.